COMPETITORS COMPETE AT THE AGE THEY WERE AS OF JANUARY 1 OF THE COMPETITION YEAR. ALL COMPETITORS MUST COMPETE AT THE HIGHEST BELT RANK THEY HAVE ACHIEVED. THE RINGS ARE RUN WITH 3 OR 5 JUDGES PER RING.
UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT If you are Disqualified due to any form of unsportsmanlike behavior you will receive no awards or points for the tournament and risk being banned from future events (this includes non-competitors).
- Anyone found not competing in his/her correct age or belt division (highest belt ranked achieved) will be automatically disqualified and no points will be awarded.
- Judges will score based on spirit, performance, technique and basics not according to their personal version of the form.
- The following are only allowed in creative/musicals divisions: flips, aerials, and acrobatics. All other forms divisions must have traditional stances and techniques.
KATA, FORMS & WEAPONS (Only one traditional Forms division allowed per competitor)
- Kyu belts are scored on a scale of 8.90 to 8.99 based on the number of competitors in the division.
- Black belts are scored on a scale of 9.90 to 9.99 based on the number of competitors in the division.
- Ties: Judges winner comparison will break ties. Then highest middle score. Then remove high score only. Then low only. Then re-do.
- Order of competition: Determined by open draw after close of pre-registration.
- A competitor who forgets his/her form or drops weapon may ask for a restart with no penalty or deduction. (only once and for kyu belts or colored sashes only)
- NO restarts for Black Belts.
SPARRING (only one sparring division allowed per competitor)
- NO WARNINGS FOR ANY PENALTY.
- SAFETY EQUIPMENT IS MANDATORY IN ALL DIVISIONS!!
- Soft foam Head, Hand, & Foot Gear, Mouth Piece and Groin Cup. (Fingers & Toes must be covered)
- Jewelry or other objects that might endanger a competitor may not be worn.
- NO COACHING while in play.
- 5 points, or 2 minutes, all techniques are 1 point no mercy rule.
- IF score is tied after 2 minutes first person to score a point is declared the winner.
Chest, Ribs, Abdominal area, Kidneys HEAD: Light contact(touch) * FACE MASK AREA: No Contact in KYU Belt. Black Belt Light Touch
- NO CONTACT: MEANS NO CONTACT!! Contact to Facial area may result in automatic disqualification, or penalty point being awarded to other player.
- Excessive Contact: May result in penalty point awarded to other player.
- Excessive Heavy Contact. May result in automatic disqualification.
- Swelling, Redness, or Bleeding may result in automatic disqualification to other player.
- GRABS: Grabbing the uniform top or pants is not allowed.
- NO GROUND FIGHTING.
- SWEEPS: Sweeps are not allowed. No “take downs”. No “leg checking”.
- BYES: All Byes will be given in first round only. No competitor shall be exempt from the draw to select the byes at any time.
- PROTESTS: Competitors, Parents or Instructors may NOT protest judgement calls. You may protest a rule violation, if done in a respectful manor. Protest must be made during or at the end of a match and before the next match begins. The Arbitrator has the final say.
- OUT OF BOUNDS: A player is out of bounds when one foot is outside the ring area. Running out of bounds is a warning, and then a penalty point is awarded to opponent. Fighting out of bounds requires a restart.
- Two competitors from the same school shall not fight each other until the final round or until unavoidable (i.e. only 3 competitors in the division). Byes must be randomly drawn and if this results in 2 competitors from the same school having to compete against each other, then it is unavoidable. At no time should a competitor be exempt from the draw for selecting the byes.
ALL RULES WILL BE ENFORCED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE CENTRE JUDGE, AND/OR TOURNAMENT ARBITRATOR.